The Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital and St John's Hospital all provide specialist diabetes inpatient services.
Contact details for inpatient diabetes
- Diabetes Specialist Nurses - Bleep 5852 / 5955
- Diabetes Registrar - Bleep #6800
- Diabetes Specialist Nurses - Bleep 8687
- Diabetes Registrar - Bleep 8370
- Diabetes Specialist Nurses - Bleep 3008 / 3632
Who to refer to the inpatient diabetes service
All RIE T1DM patients, admitted under general medicine, should have their care transferred to a diabetologist at the earliest opportunity.
Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA)
A video guide to using the 2014 NHS Lothian DKA pathway:
Hyperglycaemic Hyperosmolar State (HHS) [Previously known as HONK]
Useful information for junior doctors
'DiAppBetes' is an app for iphone and android phones with practical guidance on the management of diabetes in hospitalised patients: